| INSTRUCTIONS TO REFEREES
Function of Referees
The Editors seek the advice of experts in the research areas of the submitted typescripts. Referees should estimate the scientific value of the work and also indicate whether the writing is clear and concise. The recommendations from the referees may not always be followed by the Editor who accepts full responsibility for decisions about typescripts. Papers that are not accepted by the Editor will be returned to the authors. Authors have the right to appeal to the Co-ordinating Editor if they regard a decision to reject as unfair.
Suggestions to Referees of Papers
SCIENTIFIC MERIT. The editors rely primarily on the referees for an assessment of the scientific merit of a submitted typescript. The criteria should be:
- SOUNDNESS Is the work sound, so far as you can judge?
- ADDITION TO KNOWLEDGE Will the results constitute a useful, non-trivial addition to the literature of chemistry? The work should be original, i.e. not published elsewhere, or for Articles and Short Reports, not published elsewhere, except as preliminary communications or meeting abstracts.
- COMMUNICATIONS Does the work fulfil the criteria of novelty and urgency?
REVISION. If the manuscript needs revision, please make specific suggestions for the guidance of the authors and editors.
- CONDENSATION Do not hesitate to recommend condensation. Indicate which parts need shortening.
- TABLES AND FIGURES Are all the tables and figures needed, or can some be eliminated without detriment to the presentation and make part of the supplementary material available in the Journal electronic page?
- MINOR CHANGES Suggested minor changes and corrections can be marked directly on the manuscript. Be alert for errors that are evident only to readers with highly specialised knowledge.
- LANGUAGE Does the text need major revision? For papers submitted by authors whose first language is not English, it is important that the referees should use their expert knowledge to remove or point out any ambiguities in the scientific content; when necessary, revision of the text by a native English speaker should be recommended.
ACCURACY. Referees should examine all relevant details.
- NOVEL COMPOUNDS Are the novel compounds sufficiently well characterised? Check the consistency of the spectroscopic data in the text, figures and tables.
- NUMERICAL DATA Examine numerical data to see whether the values support the conclusions drawn by the authors. Check the consistency of numerical data in the text, figures and tables.
- CALCULATIONS When possible spot check calculated numerical items.
- NOMENCLATURES Check whether symbols, units, etc. are used in accordance with IUPAC recommendations (see Instructions for Authors)
- BIBLIOGRAPHY Please check a few bibliographic entries. Check spelling of authors' names, journal abbreviation, year, volume, page. Does the reference cover the point the authors of the manuscript allege it covers?
- SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIAL Will the supplementary material submitted for implementation in the electronic page of the Journal be useful to the readers of the papers?
SUPPORTING INFORMATION. Referees may ask for supporting data not submitted for publication, or for sight of a previous paper, which has been submitted but not yet published.
POLICY. It should be clearly understood that reviewers' reports are made in confidence to the Editor, at whose discretion comments will be transmitted to the author(s). To assist the Editor, the reviewers are requested to indicate which comments are designed only for consideration, as distinct from those which, in the referee's view, require specific action or an adequate answer before the paper is accepted.
We would appreciate having your comments returned to us within 21 days of receipt. If you expect to take significantly longer to evaluate this manuscript or if you feel that the paper in question is outside your specialist area, please return it to us for reassignment as quickly as possible. It may be helpful if you can suggest an alternative referee.
Online Report Forms
From May 2005, the AABC implemented a new electronic on-line submission procedure. Hence, there is a possibility of sending electronically the revision reports form of the manuscripts.
In any case, potential reviewers will be contacted by e-mail so that they can choose their best way to receive the manuscript for evaluation and to send their reports.
If you prefer sending your review in printed form, please, contact the AABC office. For on-line reviewing, please refer to the instructions sent to you by e-mail or read the instructions bellow.
In case of any problem please contact our Editorial Manager at: [+55] (21) 3212-2444.
Instructions for the use od the Online System
If you want to send the review ON-LINE follow the steps: Go to main page of AABC system ( http://aabc.abc.org.br ) and using your user Login and Password go to your file user (Referee) web-page and find the link with the manuscript name and number. If you forgot your password, use the link Forgot password ? or write to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Once logged in:
There you will find 3 categories of manuscripts:
- Manuscripts to Consider for Possible Review
- Manuscripts to Review
- Manuscripts Already Reviewed
Into the option "1. Manuscripts to Consider for Possible Review" you choose the manusript link, where you have acess to all information about the submited manuscript, including the PDF.
Then, you MUST decide if you Accept or Decline the task. If you Decline, a box for justification or indication of other potential reviewers is given and the link is erased. If you Accept the task, the manuscript goes to category 2.
Into the option "2. Manuscripts to Review" the link of the manuscript will lead you to the same information given before (including PDF) and a botton (I read the manuscript and I want to give my report) is available for you to give the Report ON-LINE anytime.
There you will find "rates" to give to the manuscript, as well as two possibilities to send your comments: by writing (or pasting) it into a box, OR/AND by uploading a PDF already saved.
At the end you will find the botton Submit Report and only then the report goes ON-LINE. It means that at anytime, whiting the referee deadline, you can go back and give you report.
Then, after sending the Report, the manuscript link goes to option "3. Manuscript Already Reviewed" and you will have acess to the given Report. It is usefull if a revised version (name as V2, V3 etc.) is resubmited, and the Editor asks your re-Review. In this case, the sequence is the same.